OGILVIE, Minn. (July 14)—The Ogilvie Raceway in Ogilvie, Minn., hosted opening night of the 2nd Annual Mod Wars presented by JPW/Jobbers Warehouse Supply and Northern Line Contracting for the Summit USMTS National Championship presented by RacinDirt. When the checkered flag waved, it was a veteran dirt modified racer finally scoring his first USMTS win. Tyler Wolff made the best of his Sybesma Graphics Pole Award, jumping into the lead at the drop of the green flag while Wissota veteran Dave Cain gave chase.
By lap 10, Wolff stretched out his lead margin to more than three seconds but a caution with 12 laps in the books erased Wolff’s margin.
Unphased by the slowdown, Wolff again pulled away from his chasers when the green light shined again. Meanwhile, Cain was having a sporty tussle with Lucas Schott, Shane Sabraski and Dustin Sorensen for the remaining positions among the top 5 runners.
Wolff’s advantage was more than four seconds with four laps to go when he came upon a swarm of soon-to-be lapped cars. With most competitors finding the bottom line to their liking, Wolff got underneath his first victim but the lapper came down into the leader and Wolff became the victim.
Cain assumed the lead position for the restart and then fended off a last-lap challenge from Sorensen to take the victory—his first USMTS triumph and the second first-time winner this week
Schott, Sabraski and defending USMTS National Champion Dereck Ramirez rounded out the top 5 while 10th-starting Tanner Mullens, 12th-starting Zack VanderBeek, 18th-starting Kyle Brown, 17h-starting J.T. Johnson and 22-starting Clayton Wagamon completed the first 10 to the finish line.
With his $3,000 triumph, Cain became the 10th different winner in the 20th race for the USMTS in 2022. He’s also the fifth driver this year to claim his career-first USMTS win.
SUMMIT RACING EQUIPMENT “A” MAIN (32 laps):
1. (2) 2C Dave Cain, Corcoran, Minn.
2. (7) 19 Dustin Sorensen, Rochester, Minn.
3. (6) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn.
4. (3) 7A Shane Sabraski, Rice, Minn.
5. (11) 4R Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
6. (10) 02 Tanner Mullens, Wichita, Kan.
7. (12) 33Z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa
8. (18) 21K Kyle Brown, Madrid, Iowa
9. (17) 89 J.T. Johnson, Milaca, Minn.
10. (22) 14W Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn.
11. (14) 10C Cayden Carter, Oskaloosa, Iowa
12. (5) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
13. (26) 87 Darron Fuqua, Mayetta, Kan.
14. (20) 60 Dan Ebert, Lake Shore, Minn.
15. (15) 77T Tripp Gaylord, Lakewood, Colo.
16. (9) 21 Jacob Bleess, Chatfield, Minn.
17. (30) 65X Carlos Ahumada Jr., El Paso, Texas
18. (16) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas
19. (24) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
20. (1) 4W Tyler Wolff, Fayetteville, Ark.
21. (23) 4 Jeremy Nelson, Alexandria, Minn.
22. (27) 06 Jeremy Nelson, Zimmerman, Minn.
23. (25) 0 Jake O’Neil, Tucson, Ariz.
24. (4) 18A Landon Atkinson, Little Falls, Minn.
25. (13) 49 Jake Timm, Winona, Minn.
26. (28) 38T Dylan Thornton, Santa Maria, Calif.
27. (29) 19SB Lance Mari, El Centro, Calif.
28. (21) 24 Brandon Dolman, Alexandria, Minn.
29. (19) 44S Shane DeVolder, Pacifica, Calif.
30. (8) 11 Jody Bellefeuille, Duluth, Minn.
DNS – 56 Colton Horner, Houston, Texas
Lap Leaders: Wolff 1-28, Cain 29-32.
Total Laps Led: Wolff 28, Cain 4.
Margin of Victory: 0.626 second.
Time of Race: 26 minutes, 14.943 seconds (6 cautions).
Provisional Starters: O’Neil, Fuqua, Nelson  (track).
Emergency Provisionals: Thornton, Mari, Ahumada,.
FK Rod Ends Hard Charger: Wagamon (started 22nd, finished 10th).
Next Race: Friday, July 15, Ogilvie Raceway.
For other modified news, click here.